Symphonically Serving Our Community Since 1974
Ever since helping his father conduct a church choir when he was a teenager, Dr. Robert Lyall was inspired to dedicate his time and efforts towards the advancement of music and his community. While he was music faculty member at the University of Houston- Victoria until 1979, he founded the Victoria Symphony in 1974. He remained the symphony’s musical director for 16 years. Our current music director Darryl One, took on the role in 1995.
Born in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. One began his career in mathematics at Illinois State University and subsequently changed his major to music. He received his undergraduate and masters degrees in composition and later attended Indiana University, completing a masters in conducting. He participated in the Hans Swarowksy Conducting Competition in Vienna and was invited to attend Erich Leinsdorf’s Symposium for Young Conductors in Aspen, Colorado. Mr. One has recorded a number of new American works for the American Symphony Orchestra League’s American Music Project with the Denver Symphony and the Oregon Symphony. He was also one of four conductors invited to conduct the New World Symphony in Miami for the American Repertoire Project, a program designed to highlight young conductors in America.
Mr. One has almost doubled the number of concerts the orchestra performs during his tenure. With innovative combinations of thematic programming, staging, lighting, and concert formats, the orchestra has increased its audience while maintaining a high level of performance. More importantly, Mr. One has raised the artistic level of the orchestra, making it one of the best orchestras in southern Texas. Many past members of the orchestra who began their orchestral careers with the VSO have gone on to careers with large regional and major orchestras.
Thanks to Mr. One’s dedication and constant support from our community, the symphony has maintained its mission to enrich, entertain, educate, and inspire our community through symphonic concerts of the highest possible artistic quality.
Your gift makes LIVE symphonic music possible and so much more!
The Victoria Symphony Orchestra’s commitment to artistic excellence is manifested both in its orchestral performances that lift the spirit and inspire the imagination and by its stimulating educational and family-oriented programs.
Ticket sales cover less than 25% of the cost of producing VSO’s concerts and community engagement programs. The remaining 75% comes from grants, special fundraising events, and donations from concert-goers such as you.
We encourage you to support the Symphony’s outstanding orchestral performances and dynamic educational programs by contributing to the Annual Fund. Gifts to the Annual Fund provide crucial support for all Victoria Symphony Orchestra initiatives and they are tax-deductible.
In gratitude for your support of our music,
Fund Drive Chairman
Board and Staff
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Community and Education
Sharing the Joy of Music with All
Our Education Mission is to cultivate an enthusiasm for music in the lives of people of all ages and cultural backgrounds through musical presentations.
We exist to:
- Present live orchestra performances to our community and create educational programs for music students.
- Offer support to music educators (public, private and home-school).
- Cultivate awareness, knowledge and enjoyment of music in the Crossroads.
- Bring professional symphony musicians together with a variety of groups within our community.
- Present live orchestra performance and education programs to the Crossroads residents.
- Encourage adults and youth of all ages to explore the world of symphony orchestra.
- Offer support to music educators (public, private and home school).
- Cultivate awareness, knowledge and enjoyment of music.
- Create educational opportunities for music students.
- Engage a broad and diverse audience by connecting the Victoria Symphony with our entire community.
- Bring professional Symphony musicians together with a variety of groups in our community.
Crossroads Education Connection Newsletter
At the beginning of each school year this e-newsletter is sent out to the public and private school music educators and administrators, as well as home school contacts, within the 10-county area we serve. The newsletter announces educational programs for the season and gives detailed information about each program.